Artichokes - Knowledgebase Question

Littleton, Co
Question by jerilyn50
I purchased 2 packages of artichoke seeds and a plastic greenhouse type starter kit, from HD. I have followed the instruction on both packages to a T. Living in Denver, I do know that they aren't the eaisiest plants to keep year after year, But,I havent been unable to even get them to sprout. Do you sell them already started or do you have any recomendations?

0

Artichoke seeds can take some time to sprout and they really need a cold stratification to sprout well. I don't know if your seeds were treated prior to being packaged or if the seeds are old (look for a packaging date on the seed packet). To check the viability of your seeds, place a couple of them between a dampened, folded papertowel, set them in a plastic baggie and put them on your kitchen counter. With a few more seeds, place them in a baggie with a moistened papertowel and put them in your refrigerator for about 45 days, then sow the seeds. See which seeds sprout first. Then you'll know whether or not your seeds need a stratification period.

You should be able to purchase artichoke plants in your local garden center. If not, I hope your seeds are successful!

Today's site banner is by Paul2032 and is called "Daisy with bug"