Question about a tree - Knowledgebase Question

Shepherdsville, Ke
Question by law00
We have a flowering kwanzan cherry tree. Very pretty when it blooms. I just noticed an few weeks ago the bark is spliting on the trunck. I do not know how long this has been going on. We had an ice storm in January, we live in Shep.Ky. Do this trees normally split or could the storm causde it? What can I do? I do not want to loose the tree. The tree is about 10 years old.

Thanks Lois

0

Bark splitting and sloughing can be a result of a number of environmental factors - winter frost or wind or sunscald. In some flowering cherry trees, it is a normal part of growing up. I wouldnn't worry too much about it. A healthy tree will compartmentalize the damage and heal itself. Just continue to give your tree good care and I think it will be just fine.