yellwo spots from dog urine - Knowledgebase Question

Parker Ford, Pe
Question by amagic1100
I have 2 loving yellow labs. I also have spots in the lawn where they urinate and the grass turns yellow and dies. I feed them a very good organic food and simply am stumped as to how to keep these areas from dying off.

0

Dog urine contains concentrations of salts, so it has probably thrown the soil pH off a little. I suggest raking about an inch of compost into each of the areas. The compost contains soil organisms that can help balance to the soil biology and chemistry. Depending on the grass species, new blades may sprout in the renovated area, but you can always put down a little seed to get it going again. If your dogs usually uses your lawn for relief, douse the area with a hose to dilute the effect of the urine soon after the fact. You might even consider giving the dogs their own area and fencing it in while you enjoy the rest of the lawn. Wish I had more solutions to share!