Seedling Losing Leaves - Knowledgebase Question

NY, NY
Question by lmsmjd
I am growing velvet coleus from seed (Burpee kit -- coleus, torenia and hypoestes). The coleus germinated first but now looks the worst. The seedlings have been losing all of their lower leaves. The tips have turned brown on most of the remaining leaves. What's wrong?

0

Some gardeners mist their seedlings to water them and some simply pour slowly and carefully. Do keep in mind that misting provides a gentle watering but it can spread and/or encourage foliar problems. In any case, the frequency will depend on how much air circulation there is and on how warm it is. (Moving air and higher temperatures cause faster evaporation.)

Later on, as the plants get bigger I may switch to bottom watering. If you use this technique, be sure to pour any excess water out of the tray as soon as you see that moisture has wicked up to the soil surface.

Good luck with your seedlings!

Good luck with your seedlings!