Cauliflower head separating - Knowledgebase Question

Baltimore, Ma
Question by lady_just_ch
I just cut a cauliflower head from my plant and the buds were starting to separate. I blanced the head when it was about 3in. in diameter. After 3 days, the head had gotten so bigger I took the leaves off and the next day, I cut it. I live in MD & we have been getting plenty of rain and mild temps so far. The plant is growing in a leafgro mixture and is otherwise healthy. What happened?

0

Once the "curds" begin to separate, the head is over mature. I'm fairly certain that although you think the weather has been mild, your cauliflower was ready to bolt - triggered either by the longer days of early summer or the heat. You may find that fall grown plants outperform spring plants in your location. Cauliflower perfers to mature in the cooler days of fall than in the hot days of summer. I'd plant again in late August so you can harvest this fall. Enjoy!