squirrels ate some of the tomatoes that I planted last year how do I correct that this year - Knowledgebase Question

Chicago, Il
Question by willisjeffre
Last year the squirrels eat some of my tomatoes. Is there any product that I can get to prevent that this year.

Thanks,

Jeff

0

Dealing with squirrel is tough, but there may be some help for you. One of the easiest solutions is to cover the soil around planting beds with sheets of 1-2 inch diameter wire mesh. Squirrels don't like to walk on it. You can also try pruning trees so the lowest branches are at least 6 feet above ground and placing 2 foot wide metal bands around the tree trunks, positioning them so the bottom of each band is at least 2 feet off the ground. This will discourage squirrels from taking up residence in your yard. I realize these aren't really simple solutions...but it's not a simple problem! Are you sure that squirrels are the only culprit? Could you also be having trouble with a woodchuck, or a family of rabbits?