Leaves on 7 sisters rose bush - Knowledgebase Question

Concord, Ne
Question by nhayes603
The leaves on my rose bush seem to roll inward the past few years and then they have some spots like black or red spots on them, I water the bush often that is the roots and feed the bush Rose Food and banana peels and this still happens, I did spray the leaves with water and Dawn dish soap, what can I do to prevent this problem. N Hayes

0

What you describe are classic symptoms of a rose disease called black spot. Fungicides will help control it, but you'll need to practice good garden sanitation (prune and remove the most obviously infected canes), and try to keep water off the leaves. Fungicides need to be applied every 7-14 days during the growing season. Some choices include Funginex, Daconil, Captan, Bravo and the neem oil based Rose Defense, which has some residual effect and can also deter insect pests. You'll find others in the garden section of your local Home Depot. I'm afraid black spot is just one of the challenges you'll face when growing roses, but the reward is worth the effort. I don't think there's anything quite as lovely as a garden filled with roses! Best wishes with your roses.