ground ivy (creeping charlie) problem - Knowledgebase Question

Streator, Il
Question by chrismoore69
I can't get rid of my ground ivy problem! I've tried treating it with Spectricide weed killer and it just laughs at it. I also tried Ortho brand and it also didn't work. Both just seem to slow it down a bit. Treated several times and also have been cutting grass longer (3.5

0

Creeping Charlie is not controlled by usual means. Many gardeners have had good luck eradicating the plant by mixing 10 ounces 20-Mule Team Borax in 2-1/2 gallons of water and applying the mixture to their lawn. The boron doesn't affect the grass, but overwhelms the roots of creeping Charlie. Cool weather reduces its effectiveness so apply in May when the weather starts to warm. The University of Minnesota and Iowa State University have tested this recipe and report good results. Hope it works well for you!