armadillos - Knowledgebase Question

crosby, Te
Question by josie10240
armidillos are digging up my plants and yard. how can I get rid of/or deter them? HELP HELP! I also have pets in the yard.

0

Armadillos can damage plants by their digging and rooting activities as they search for earthworms and soil insects like grubs. They are especially troublesome in the dry summer when our moist lawns and landscapes offer soft digging and a good source of food. In order to prevent armadillo damage to your yard, your options are basically to fence the bumbling invaders out or to trap and relocate them elsewhere. They can be captured in a standard "live trap". Place two boards in a "V" shape leading them into the entrance to the trap. Bait the trap with elbow macaroni cooked in beef bouillon. Set it alongside a fence, house or other structure where the armadillo tends to wander across the property, orienting it in the direction of their suspected path. For other control options you can check with your local cooperative extension office. Best wishes with your garden!