Dividing Daylillies - Knowledgebase Question

Chester Springs, PA
Question by shipmom1232
I have a lot of Stella D'Oro daylillies in bloom now, some which were older, larger plants, and some which I divided last fall from the larger plants. The old larger plants that I did not divide last fall are very big now and I am tempted to divide them now and replant them before they get even larger. Can I do this now in the heat of the summer or is it really best to wait until fall?

0

You can do it now with a little extra care. Water them well the day before and water them in well when you replant. Prepare the new planting area before you do the dividing, being sure to work plenty of organic matter into the soil. Trim off half to two thirds of the foliage before replanting. Plan on using a mulch, and be sure they receive adequate water and nutrients for the rest of the season. If possible, do the job when rain is in the forecast. If you can do all that, they should recover very quickly!

Today's site banner is by Paul2032 and is called "Daisy with bug"