Planting in July - Knowledgebase Question

Las Vegas, Ne
Question by Jeanne95
I want to finish a garden and plant vincas. It is hot in Las Vegas. Should I use anything special when transplanting them? I'm stopping by Home Depot tonight. Thank you.

Planting during triple digit weather will be stressful to your plants so make the transition as easy as possible by providing some shade to your new plants for a week or two after installing them. You can purchase burlap, sun screen material, or even floating row cover fabric to use as shade cloth. Drive a few stakes into the ground and attach the shade cloth onto the stakes, 8-12 inches above the tops of the plants to provide good air circulation beneath it. Water the transplants well every other day or twice a week while they are establishing their roots. I think they'll be okay. At least I hope so!

Today's site banner is by TBGDN and is called "Irises 2017"