Help with lawn - Knowledgebase Question

dolton, Il
Question by boopy1226
I need Help. We just moved into this house. I understand that it has been vacant for 10 years. aOne are in front of the house was covered with bushes. They were cleared out and trees were cut, but they left the roots. I cleared away as much debris as I could, but I don't know what else to do.Should I plant a raised bed, or should I just put down mulch and some planters? Lots of sun no shade

0

The roots of the shrubs and trees will probably send up suckers so be prepared to whack them down as they appear. Or have the roots ground so you don't have to deal with the suckering growth. Raised beds are nice because you can fill them with topsoil (use a 3-way mixture); same with planter boxes. If you line the bottoms of the raised beds or planter boxes with hardware cloth you will have fewer problems with suckers popping up into the beds. The rest of the ground can be covered with weed barrier landscape cloth and a mulch such as bark nuggets or shredded bark. I'd start small with the plants and grow your landscape as you have the time and money to do so. This will also give you some idea of how the yard drains, what types of weedy growth you may have to deal with, and how much sunshine each area receives throughout the year so you can choose appropriate plants. I know your landscape will be beautiful in a few years. Enjoy!