Fungus growing in mulch - Knowledgebase Question

Downingtown, Pe
Question by ldonnon
I have a problem with a type of fungus growing out of my mulch - almost like an upside carrot - it is orange, grows out of a white ball in the mulch and sometimes has a black coating at the tip. What can I do to prevent?

0

What you are seeing are the above ground portions of mold and mushrooms. The underground portions are feeding on decaying organic matter in the soil or in the mulch. As soon as that is used up, or as soon as conditions are no longer suitable to them, they will stop on their own. They will not harm living plants and are a natural part of the process of decay and soil rejuvenation. I am not aware of any recommended treatments to stop them from growing. You can simply rake the mulch periodically during the summer months to incorporate some fresh air. That should stop the growth.