Non Blooming Azalea Bushes - Knowledgebase Question

Los Angeles, Ca
Question by kimlanelawre
I have 3 Azalea Bushes, that bloomed when I first purchased them last spring, and then havent since? I have fed them the acid based food, and keep them evenly watered- is there something else I need to do? They are all potted in large pots and have new growth, but no flowers. Thank you for the assistance!

0

Azaleas develop flower buds during the summer months for the following spring's display. Pruning at the wrong time can affect the blooming, as can a late frost that might dessicate the flower buds. You should be able to see potential flower buds on your shrub now. Flower buds are fat; leaf buds are narrow. If it is not forming flower buds, it isn't getting enough sunshine. While the care tag might mention partial or morning sun, in your gardening region it will be happy in 4-6 hours of full sun. Hope this information helps you determine why your azaleas are not blooming.