rabbits & squirles - Knowledgebase Question

agaunga, Ca
Question by cosmo6cutler
other than a fence-how can i keep rabbits and squirrles from eating my plants. i don't want to use poison?

0

Rabbits and squirrels are really difficult to deal with! I don't think there's a list of plants that they won't eat, but there are a number of animal repellent sprays that would help deter rabbits from eating the flowers. Try 'Get Away' or 'Deer Away' or 'Ropel'. Natural scent repellents such as coyote and fox urine are also available. Or you can put up a fence. To be most effective, a 1" chicken wire fence needs to be 2 feet high and buried at least 6 inches deep around your flowers. Consider also interplanting your flowers with garlic, onions, Mexican marigold or Dusty Miller. Bunnies tend not to like their aroma. Or, you can make your own animal repellent mixture by mixing a few teaspoons of cayenne pepper, and a dash of soap in a quart of water. Spray on the plants you want to protect. Or, you can try scare tactics such as burying empty pop bottles with the tops poking up a few inches above the ground. The eerie whistle that results when the wind blows can scare them away. Sprinkling blood meal, ground hot peppers or human or dog hair around plants is also sometimes effective. Good luck with your project.