Acidic and Alkaline soil - Knowledgebase Question

Pittsburgh, Pe
Question by sly1181
I have a few hydrangea bushes growing in my backyard and would like them to be purple. Where can I get Aluminum sulfate and Super Phosphate. Can I add them to already planted hydrangeas?

0

Aluminum sulfate is sold in garden centers as a soil conditioner. Bonide is one brand that you'll find locally. Superphosphate is simply a fertilizer that is lacking nitrogen and potassium. Look in the fertilizer section for a product with zero as a first number and zero as a second number such as: 0-10-0 or 0-20-0. It should be identified as a super phosphate fertilizer.

You only need a few tablespoon of either product per plant so buy the smallest quantity possible. You can apply in the fall and again in the spring and a third time in early summer. It may take a year or two for you to see changes in the color of the hydrangea flowers.

Today's site banner is by Paul2032 and is called "Daisy with bug"