tree saplings - Knowledgebase Question

alvin, Te
Question by pldutchyn
if i trimmed my trees can i grow the saplings cut from the bottom in soil well watered? anything special I need to do to help them root?

0

If the saplings (sometimes called suckers) have roots attached, you can just pot them up in moistened soil and allow the roots to grow. If you cut off the saplings and they have no roots you may still be able to encourage them to root. Use just the top 6" of the sapling and toss the rest. Dip the cut end in rooting hormone and set each cutting into a container filled with moistened potting soil and keep it moist. New roots will develop in a few weeks and when you see new growth at the top of the plant, you'll know it has rooted. Good luck with your project.