IS IT MOLD OR FUNGUS? - Knowledgebase Question

Question by NEVERMORE108
July 5, 2009
In my front yard I have this jelly like stuff in my soil around my bushes. It is like gooey jelly stuff. How do I get rid of it?

Answer from NGA
July 5, 2009


Welcome to the wonderful world of slime molds! These goopy fungi (Myxomycetes) live on dead organic matter and thrive in moist conditions. You can rake it out and dump it in the trash; especially in the early stages before it spreads its spores. Increasing the air circulation and allowing the soil to dry out will help eliminate the stuff. To help stop the growth of slime mold, just rake any mulch on the soil surface to expose it to air and sunlight. It's perfectly harmless - just revolting to look at!

You must be signed in before you can post questions or answers. Click here to join!

« Return to the Garden Knowledgebase Homepage

Member Login:



[ Join now ]

Today's site banner is by ge1836 and is called "Alteri Lily"