house plant - Knowledgebase Question

PORT ST. LUCIE, Fl
Question by L2WHOMEFRONT
I'VE BOUGHT A FLAMINGO FLOWER PLANT ABOUT THREE MONTHS NOW AND IT HAS BEEN DOING GREAT UNTIL A MONTH AGO. THE TIP OF THE LEAVES ARE TURNING YELLOW. I'VE FERTILIZE IT, WATER IT DAILY AS THE INSTRUSTION SAID AND GIVES IT FILTERED LIGHT. WHAT AM I DOING WRONG?

0

I think you may be overwatering your Anthurium. This plant loves lots of light, but not direct sunlight. But, it will also survive in low lighting areas of your home. The plant won?t bloom without the correct amount of light, too much light will cause the leaves to be elongated and not as pretty.

Anthurium?s should be thoroughly watered, but allowed to dry out slightly between waterings. If the plant is allowed to be dry for too long it will greatly decrease growth and cause the tips of the leaves to burn and damage the roots. Over watering also damages the roots and causes the leaves to turn yellow and fall.

The soil should be well draining and coarse and should consist of 3 parts of peat, one part small gravel and one part sphagnum moss that has been chopped into small pieces. A small amount of organic potting soil can also be added to the mixture.

Younger plants don?t need a soil that is as coarse as more mature plants need. The soil should completely fill in all the area around the roots and you should always use a pot that has a hole in the bottom for drainage.

A newly purchased Anthurium shouldn?t need fertilization for several months. Most growers mix slow release fertilizer in with the soil and unless you immediately repot you won?t need to add any extra.

When you do fertilize use a 3:1:2 ratio fertilizer and mix it to 1/4 of the recommended strength. Choose a fertilizer that is specifically for blooming flowers and apply once per month.

Hope this information is helpful.