Composting - Knowledgebase Question

Kansas City, Mi
Question by boblisity
Using my drum composter I realize that at some point I need to stop adding new material and let what is in it finish cooking. What is the best way to stage or hold material in the interim? As a city dweller I compost very few grass clippings or leaves; mostly kitchen and garden trimmings Left out, that stuff can attract rodents and pests.

0

Drum composters can produce finished compost in about 10 weeks. They are not considered "continuous use" so, you're right, at some point you will need to stop adding new material to the composter. A second composter would be the easy answer to your quandry. Or, burying the kitchen waste in the soil, with the intention of digging it up and adding it to your composter at a later date might work for you. You might also consider building a holding bin out of hardware cloth while your tumbler is occupied. Hope these suggestions help.