Brown dead spots - Knowledgebase Question

Kingman, Ar
Question by school02
I have a small female dog. Every time she urinates on my lawn, it turns the grass brown and it dies. Is there something I can put on the lawn to prevent this?

0

Dog urine contains concentrations of salts, so it has probably thrown the soil pH off a little. I suggest raking about an inch of compost into each of the areas. The compost contains soil organisms that can help balance to the soil biology and chemistry. Depending on the grass species, new blades may sprout in the renovated area, but you can always put down a little seed to get it going again. If your dog usually uses your lawn for relief, douse the area with a hose to dilute the effect of the urine soon after the fact. You might even consider giving the dog her own area and fencing it in while you enjoy the rest of the lawn. Wish I had more solutions to share!

Today's site banner is by bootandall and is called "Aster"