What kind of potting soil? - Knowledgebase Question

Miami Gardens, Fl
Question by zsabir7
I purchased two orchids(Phalaenopsis hybrid) today. They will be grown indoors. Both need repotting.What potting soil do I need to purchase? Can I use regular potting soil?

Where do I find

0

Orchids grow and flower best when they are potbound so don't be in a hurry to repot your new plants or you'll set them back in terms of growth and flowering. When it is time to repot, use the next sized container and fill it with orchid mix which is basicall bark chips. You'll find it packaged and labeled Orchid Mix in the garden center.

Diatomaceous earth is the fossilized remains of diatoms, a type of hard-shelled algae. It has many uses but for gardeners it is often used as a mechanical insecticide. The particles are tiny but very sharp. When you sprinkle diatomaceous earth on the soil and insects crawl over it, the particles will scratch their outer shells. This effectively kills the insects. Most garden centers carry diatomaceous earth - just ask a staff member.

Hope this answers your questions!

Today's site banner is by rocklady and is called "Wildflower"