Trendy Grass - Knowledgebase Question

Waipahu, HI
Question by hannah_aulan
Recently, I saw a CNN story on grass as the newest trend in calming plants. Apparently, in NYC it is hotter than roses to send to friends. I am looking for a grass that is thin and fun to run your fingers through like I did in kindergarten. I would love to plant some grass to put on my desk at work. Can you recommend a seed to use?

0

It is soothing to have a bit of nature nearby, especially if you can interact with it! Most any grass seed produces fine, hairlike seedlings that are silky and soft from the start (just like other baby critters). Most grass seed is sold by the pound rather than in packets, so be prepared! Some garden centers do have seed in bulk so you can buy only as much as you need. A fine fescue would be my choice. Just make sure it gets plenty of light, so that it will be nice and green. If you "mow" it occasionally, it will stay soft and fine for longer. You should probably start a new pot every month or so, because I don't think the grass will live for very long in a pot. Enjoy the lawn on your desk!