Tulip bulb - Knowledgebase Question

Altoona, Pe
Question by gjwags1
Hello, Last fall we did some landscaping and I dug up quite a bit of tulip bulbs and replanted them. THis spring quite a few came up, but some of them were just leaves and no tulip flowers. Was there something I was supposed to do to ensure all of them had flower blooms?

0

The most important factors are sunshine, plenty of elbow room, adequate water, planting at the proper depth and leaving the foliage on the plants until it dies down naturally. The leaves manufacture and transport energy back into the bulbs for the following year's floral display. If you remove the foliage before it ripens the bulb will have only enough energy to send up new leaves, but no flowers. If the bulbs are planted too deeply they can run out of stored energy before they can develop flowers. If you planted yours only about 4" deep, that should be about right. I think they'll bloom for you next year - at least I hope so!

Today's site banner is by rocklady and is called "Wildflower"