Moving Iris' - Knowledgebase Question

howell, Mi
Question by oglemjo
Is there anyway I can save Iris' that I must move for about 3 weeks. Do I save them with dirt attached or just how would I save them while deck is being built?

0

Irises are fairly hardy plants. Since they have finished blooming you can prune the tops down by about two thirds and dig them with a garden fork (to help prevent damage to the rhizomes). It would be best to plant them in containers but failing that you can set them in soil in a cardboard box - just enough soil to cover the rhizomes and roots - and keep them in a shady spot in the garden. Water the soil so it doesn't dry out completely. This will keep the rhizomes plump. You can replant them after your deck is built.