vegetables - Knowledgebase Question

FT COLLINS, Co
Question by tkflord
most of my vegetables plants especially my tomatoes have lots of tiny holes in their leaves. I am not using any kind of chemicals, since I want an organic garden. Can you please suggest what I can do to stop this problem. Also, my cucumber and squash plants, their leaves are turning yellow, I don't know what to do? Any advise would be appreciated. thanks, fran

0

Small holes in leaves usually won't harm vegetable plants so you shouldn't have to worry too much about them. Organic gardeners generally do not use chemical sprays but there are some plant based sprays that are sometimes acceptable to organic growers - neem oil based products, rotenone, sabadilla, and pyrethrum based insecticides might be options for you. As for the yellowing leaves - if they are the oldest leaves on the plant, it's nothing to be concerned about. If the newer leaves are yellowing it can indicate a need for fertilizer or might be a symptom of overwatering. If you haven't fed your plants, now's the time. If you have fed, check your watering practices. Soil needs to dry out slightly between waterings. Hope this information helps.