Pest on Apple Tree - Knowledgebase Question

Chesapeake, Vi
Question by Liber8edmom
I noticed today that the leaves on my apple tree have yellow spots on them approximately the size of a pea. I pulled on off and turned the leaf over to find there is a welt of what appears to be little bugs. Any idea what it is or how to treat?

0

Without seeing the pests I can only offer an educated guess that you are dealing with apple leaf mites. They usually leave galls or raised areas on the leaves when they are finished feeding. Control is difficult and usually not recommended. These pests are transients and just happened to find your tree. The best defense is to rake the fallen leaves and remove them from your garden. For a positive diagnosis, take a few of the affected leaves to your cooperative extension office where the staff can examine the insects under a microscope and identify them for you. Contact Virginia Tech cooperative extension, 310 Shea Drive, Chesapeake, VA 23322, phone (757) 382-6348. Best wishes with your apple tree.