biannual plants - Knowledgebase Question

YONKERS, Ne
Question by Dan1928
I purchased 5 canterbury plants in pots. I was told that they would come back in 2 years. do I hav e to place these plants in the ground or can I leave them in the pots? Please let me know. Dan

0

Biennials are plants that grow vegetatively the first year and then rest over the winter months. The next spring they grow and flower, and then die. Most biennials can be counted on to behave in this way. After they have finished flowering they will drop their seeds and the new seeds will sprout into plants to start the process all over again. If you plant your Canterbury bells in the ground there will always be new plants coming up and you will probably get flowers from some of the plants every year. I would choose a garden bed and plant them in the ground rather than leaving them in pots.