Harvesting Spearmint - Knowledgebase Question

Wilderville, OR
Question by talmadge
I planted six spearmint plants from 4 inch pots.How do I get the maximum yield? I'd like to get enough for winter supply of tea.When and how should I prune?

0

All of the mints are very vigorous growers. In fact, they can become invasive! You'll be doing yourself a favor by planting your spearmint in containers to keep the roots under control (you can plant them in large pots and sink the pots into the soil). You can harvest mint as soon as it comes up in the spring, and continue as long as it puts out new growth. The new leaves and stems have the best flavor. To dry, just tie the sprigs together and hang upside down in an airy location. When the leaves crumble they're dry enough to store in a tighly capped jar and stored in a cool, dark location.