dogwood tree-newly planted about 3 weeks ago - Knowledgebase Question

annandale, Vi
Question by kimga100
About 3 weeks ago I planted a 8-9ft dogwood tree in my sunny backyard (about 8 to 9 hours of sun). I've noticed lately that the ends of each branch, about 12

0

Transplant shock is probably what's causing the symptoms you describe. Dogwoods can suffer from stress when planted during the summer months. The best course of action is to simply keep your tree well watered as it re-establishes its root system. Early next spring you can prune out any permanent damage. Water deeply once or twice a week to help the roots establish. If you didn't already, make a watering well or watering basin beneath the tree by mounding up several inches of soil all around, about 12" from the trunk. Fill this basin with water, allow to drain, then fill it a second time. Watering in this way will concentrate the moisture over the roots and allow it to trickle down, wetting the entire root system. Once a week should do it. If your soil drains very quickly, water twice a week during the summer months. Good luck with your dogwood!

Today's site banner is by rocklady and is called "Wildflower"