Growing Coconut Trees from Seed - Knowledgebase Question

Parsippany, NJ
Question by ganttc
I would like to try germinating coconut seeds for growing into trees. I have a few coconuts with the hulls removed (hard, brown center only) to try with. Do you have any suggestions on how to do this? Is it even possible? (Your advice for raising pineapple plants worked well!)

0

It is indeed possible -- but you're better off using intact nuts rather than shelled ones. Plant the "seed" horizonally in a coarse, fertile, well-drained medium, with just the top third of the seed above the soil. Keep soil evenly moist and air temperatures between 80-90F. After germination, maintain high humidity and temps can then range from 70-90F. Keep the plant in full sun. By the time the coconut palms reach 4 years old, they should be planted in their permanent home - hope you have a TALL CEILING!