Brown Turkey Fig - Knowledgebase Question

Florence, AL
Question by rltanner
I have a 2 year old Brown Turkey Fig. It has many shoots about 3 feet tall. Is it a bush or should I trellis it? When should I fertilize it and when can I expect fruit here in Alabama?

0

Brown Turkey is a tree, fast growing to 15-30 feet, and usually has low branches. You can remove all the shoots except one if you want a tree with one trunk. Otherwise, let it spread out, or attach it to a trellis or wall. Fig trees aren't picky about soil, but the roots are near the surface, so don't cultivate around it once it's planted. It's not necessary to fertilize the tree - too much nitrogen will result it lots of green growth at the expense of fruit. Apply fertilizer only if the leaf color is yellowish. Fig trees bear two crops of fruit each year. The first crop comes on last year's wood and should ripen in June. The second crop comes from this year's wood and will develop from August - November, depending upon weather. Figs are ripe when the stem pulls easily from the tree.