Artichokes - Knowledgebase Question

Gardena, CA
Question by mariedempst
When is the best time to cut artichokes back? Your answer library indicates both after the chokes have been harvested and in the fall. My artichokes are done producing now - can I, and should I cut them back now?

0

In parts of California artichokes can develop two crops per year - that's why there are two answers to the question. Artichoke plants can grow 4 feet high and 6-8 feet wide. In the coastal climates of California, two crops can be produced if the flower stalk is cut down after the choke is harvested. New buds will develop and produce additional flowering stalks. The second crop will mature in September. Whether you get one crop or two, the foliage should be cut down after it begins to turn yellow. Hope this clarifies things!