When to Plant Black Eyed Susan Seed - Knowledgebase Question

Sparks, NV
Question by tarner
I have harvested Black-eyed Susan seeds in past years from the beautiful flower gardens here on the University
of Nevada, Reno campus where I work. I have always kept them for planting in the spring. After my initial flower
garden I have not had good luck with additional plantings coming up. I've recently moved to a new location and
want to establish a new Black-eyed Susan flower bed at my new place. Is it better to plant these seeds (and
other harvested perenials) in the fall?

0

It's often best to plant perennial wildflower seed in the fall, since that's nature's way. Often these seeds require some stratification, (exposure to cool, moist conditions for a period of time) in order to germinate. This is true for Black-Eyed Susans (Rudibeckia). You can plant them in spring, too, but you'll need to pretreat seeds by refrigerating them in a plastic bag with moistened growing medium (like seed-starting soil) for a couple of weeks. Enjoy!