Impatients - HELP! - Knowledgebase Question

Toms River, Ne
Question by mmrinman
In the past, my impatients grow to almost a foot long. The last couple of years, including this year, they are stragly and haven't grown much beyond their original size. I added lime to the dire this year, as suggested by the garden center. They said impatients don't do well with mulch, so I didn't out any muld down. Is there something I can do to boost their growth this season? Thanks .. margaret

0

I don't know if you can help them this season but I would surely recommend that you amend the planting bed next season so your plants will thrive. Poor, compacted soils will stunt plant growth. Next spring improve the soil prior to planting. Organic matter in the form of compost, aged manure or even peatmoss dug into the soil to a depth of 6-8 inches will help loosen the soil, allow it to drain well yet hold just the right amount of moisture, and will provide nutrients to the roots of your plants. After working the soil and leveling it, plant your impatiens. I think you will see a huge difference in their performance next year.

Today's site banner is by rocklady and is called "Wildflower"