Ancient tree - Knowledgebase Question

oneonta, Ne
Question by elisabeth_we0
We are restoring an ancient garden(60 years of neglect). There is I believe a grafted Harry Lauders Walking Stick that is approx. 20 feet tall . It has already lost a major limb so now it looks like a huge Bonsai.It has Burned leaves with a scale like appearance.I looked up common diseases but can only find filbert scale and it looks nothing like the symptoms we have. I hate to lose this specimen.

0

Harry Lauder's Walking Stick (Corylus Avellana 'Contorta') is known for its resistance to pests and diseases but occasionally can be bothered by foliage and twig blight, spider mites or leafhoppers. I can't tell without looking at your plant so I don't know if you are dealing with a disease or an insect problem. Since it is such a valuable specimen you might want to take leaf samples and a few close up photos to your cooperative extension office for positive diagnosis of the problem and suggested control measures. Contact Otsego County Cooperative Extension, 123 Lake St, Cooperstown, NY 13326-1017 phone (607) 547-2536.

Today's site banner is by rocklady and is called "Wildflower"