About Perennial Shrubs - Knowledgebase Question

carpentersville, Il
Question by loidamontecl
I have a some parts of the lot that have soil that perennial plants keep on dying, especially shrubs with flowers. What kind of shrubs do you suggest I plant on this type of soil?

The best course of action is to improve the soil prior to planting anything. This way, whatever you decide to plant should thrive. You can enrich your soil over a period of years and end up with rich garden loam if you add organic matter. Start by spreading 4-5 inches of organic matter over the . You can use compost, aged manure, shredded leaves or whatever organic matter is readily available in your local area. Dig or till this organic matter into the soil - 8-10 inches deep. Plant your perennials and shrubs and mulch over the bare soil between the plants with additional organic matter. A 2-3 inch layer will help suppress weeds and slow water evaporation. At the end of the season dig the organic matter into the soil and add a fresh layer. Repeat this process annually and you'll end up with rich garden loam - and a spectacular garden.

Today's site banner is by TBGDN and is called "Irises 2017"