Veggy Garden - Knowledgebase Question

Fairburn, Ge
Question by kd_small1
my young georgia collards have purple leaves that are this normal? my squash has uprooted itself, can I replant?

It's unusual for collard leaves to turn purple in the summer time, unless that's the variety you are growing. Purple leaves are usually caused by cold temperatures. The purple leaves might indicate a nutrient deficiency in your soil so you might want to feed your plants with a 10-10-10 fertilizer. If you squash pushed itself out of the soil you can simply cover the exposed roots with additional soil to protect them from drying out. Your soil must be very hard! Plant roots will attempt to penetrate soils but if they are really hard, the roots will push the plants upward. Before planting veggies next year be sure to dig some compost into the soil to loosen it!

Today's site banner is by Paul2032 and is called "Iris Dazzling"