Dogwood Problems - Knowledgebase Question

North Charleston, SC
Question by ercon4u
The leaves on by dogwoods have turned brown on edges and have wilted. I have noticed some new growth. They were not watered while on vacation and we had extreme dry, hot weather. Is it probably from the weather or could it be disease? All of my dogwood on seperate areas of the yard have these symptoms. We have three dogwoods- with some getting more light exposure than others. Only one receives almost full sun, the rest get morning shade.

0

The leaf symptoms are probably due to the drought, especially if new growth is visible now. On the other hand, dogwood trees are susceptible to a disease called Anthracnose. The symptoms include browning at the edges of the leaves and irregular, wedge-shaped brown blotches on leaves. The fungus lives on dead twigs and leaves and will reinfect the tree if not raked up and disposed of as they fall. Inspect your trees for sunken tan to brown spots on the twigs. The best treatment for this disease is to prune out and destroy affected twigs, rake and destroy fallen leaves all season, and try not to let the tree canopy get wet from sprinklers.

Today's site banner is by Paul2032 and is called "Daisy with bug"