Define and save my shrubs PLEASE - Knowledgebase Question

Frederick, Ma
Question by CanSpeak
My biggest problem is I don't know what kind of shrubs I have - but I do have pic if you'd like me to send it.
The shrubs are 3 years old and I've lost 4 (started with 12 in front of brick wall across front and vinyl siding on side of house). The leaves start turning yellow and eventually it dies. I do not see any bugs.
Thank you in advance for your help.

0

Wish we could accept photos through this forum, but we're just not set up for that. It really would help to know what kinds of shrubs you are growing and just out of curiosity I'd suggest you take a few of the healthy leaves to your local cooperative extension office, Master Gardener Clinic or well staffed nursery for help with identification. In the meantime, I'll try to address the problem with just some general advice. Yellowing leaves are usually a sign of water stress - either too much because the soil doesn't drain well, or too little because you water lightly instead of deeply. Most landscape trees and shrubs need about one inch of water per week during the growing season, applied slowly so it has a chance to percolate down and wet the entire root mass. Then the soil needs to dry out a bit before you water again. Try watering your shrubs, waiting 3-4 days and checking the soil's moisture. Just dig down near the roots to see how wet the soil is. If it is still moist an inch or two beneath the soil surface, you won't need to water for another few days. If it is dry, it's time to water. Hope this information is helpful. Please take a few leaves to have them identified. When you do, send us another question and we'll do our best to help. Good luck with your landscape.