Majestic palm dying - Knowledgebase Question

Broadview, Il
Question by shenequa_mil
My majestic palm plant has turned completely brown, I had to snip the palm branches off. the new stalks has also stiffened and turned brown, how can I revive it?

0

If the new fronds are brown, I don't know if there is hope for your majestic palm. The most common problem with indoor palms - or any houseplant for that matter - is overwatering. Here are some general guidelines for growing palms indoors: Give average household temperatures, with a minimum of 50F in the winter. Most palms will thrive in moderate to low light conditions, and should be shaded from direct sunlight. Palms require good drainage. Provide enough water to keep the soil moist during the spring and summer months, but allow the top of the soil to dry out slightly between waterings in the winter time. If the room is heated, mist the leaves occasionally to compensate for the dry air. Misting or sponging helps keep dust off the leaves, as well. Palms are not heavy feeders, but appreciate one spring and one summer feeding with a half-strength solution of liquid fertilizer in place of regular watering. It's difficult to explain low to moderate lighting conditions, but the light will be right if the plant is within 5-8 feet of a sunlit window, or if you can read newspaper print while standing in the spot. Sometimes dying tips can be from salt accumulation in the soil. Leach the salts out monthly by watering slowly and deeply and let the water run out of the bottom of the pot for several minutes. Hope this information helps!