Tough Beans - Knowledgebase Question

Simpsonville, KY
Question by fischer6
The roma (flat) green beans that I planted this year are tough. I have harvested mature and less mature and there seems to be no difference. Could it be the source of the seed? Or the weather conditions?

0

Beans grow best in cool weather, and the most tender, tasty beans are those that are harvested before they mature. The Roma beans have a distinctive flavor and slightly different texture than regular string beans. If could be that you're not harvesting soon enough - don't let your Roma's get longer than about 4 inches before harvesting. The toughness may also be caused by warm weather. Try planting a second crop of beans. They'll mature during the cooler fall days and should be tender if harvested when still small.