orchids - Knowledgebase Question

odessa, Fl
Question by delmonicoa
I have a very larage orchid that has done very well for years. It was professionally repotted a few months ago and has been doing well. This past weekend I noticed the new growth is turning black. some of it has yellow areas with black areas. Help. Please help.

Thank you

Blackened area on leaves may be caused by either sunburn or bacterial or fungal disease.

The appearance of black areas on the surface of the leaves, following a hot sunny day may be the result of sunburn. Exposure to direct mid-afternoon sunlight during the late spring through early fall will scorch the leaves of some orchids. Increase the shading or move the plant to a less sunny location.

If the blackened area increases in size, this is an indication of bacterial or fungal disease. Cut off the diseased area with a sharp, sterile tool(i.e., razor blade or knife). Then treat the plant with a fungicide like Physan 20.

Good luck with your orchid.

Today's site banner is by Paul2032 and is called "Iris Dazzling"