trees dying - Knowledgebase Question

Jacksonville, Fl
Question by wdearman4
I have 2 peacan & 1 apple tree. The apple tree has died. One peacan tree is loosing its leaves and the other about 2 feet from the trunk the limbs are bending down and breaking off. The inside of the limbs where they break is dark brown. All 3 trees are in my back yard. Can the peacan trees be saved?

0

Wish I could diagnose the problem, but the symptoms are vague. Dying limbs at the ends of branches can be caused by zinc deficiency, winter injury, broken limbs, root suffocation, drought, crown gall, herbicide injury, wind damage, heart rot and wood rot, highly alkaline soils, or mechanical injury to trunk, scaffold limbs, and roots. To control these disorders, you'll first have to determine just what the cause might be. I'd suggest taking a sample of the branches to your local cooperative extension office for positive diagnosis. Duval County Extension, 1010 N McDuff Avenue, Jacksonville, FL 32254. Helpful folks there can steer you in the right direction.