Yellowing leaves - Knowledgebase Question

Strafford, Pe
Question by jck55
My morning glory has yellow speckled leaves and some holes. What could be the problem?

0

Overwatering or a fungal disease are the probably causes. Morning glories need a slightly moist but well drained soil, if overwatered they will yellow at the base and eventually die due to root damage. They also need full sun all day and good air circulation. I think you are probably overwatering it. To know if you need to water, dig into the soil with your finger. If it is still damp, do not water yet. When you do water, water slowly and deeply, apply it at ground level (not on the foliage) and let it soak in deep. It is better to water deeply less often than to sprinkle lightly every day. Using a layer of organic mulch over the root area (but not touching the stem) will help keep the soil evenly moist between waterings. Remember too that you are only watering to supplement rain if needed - so check the soil before you water. I'd pull off the affected leaves to remove them from the garden. A fungicide can be used if the spots are a fungus and seem to be spreading.