surinam cherry - Knowledgebase Question

Honolulu, Ha
Question by james_h
my surinam cherry tree is about 6 inches high grown form seed. The plant is growing out but no up. My question is should I trim the plant and force vertical growth? And what kind of fertilizer should I use at this early stage? I am just using miracogrow every other 10 days. Thank-you in advance.

0

As your new cherry tree matures it will develop a central leader all on its own. Just allow it to grow naturally at this point. If you pinch or prune the branches you'll just encourage a bushy growth pattern which is opposite of what you really want. Eventually it will develop a central leader all on its own. You can feed lightly with a water soluable fertilizer (such as Miracle Gro) to encourage new growth. Sounds to me as though you're doing everything right - you'll just have to be a little more patient. Enjoy!