What can I plant under the shade of a tree with low hanging branches? - Knowledgebase Question

Southampton, Ne
Question by tk36ck24
I live on LI in a cottage.My landlord will allow me to plant anything as long as I take care of it.This my 1st front and backyard. The backyard is 1 color-green.Trees/bushes/hedges/grass.The one tree I have has dirt under it.I would like to have some color.I have much to learn & research through your website. Thank you - Tom
PS Not sure what catagory to put my question under.

0

Since you have low branches on your shade tree, have you considered hanging a few containers or baskets full of colorful flowers from a few of the branches? It would be a way of providing some interest at eye level. For planting under the tree, choose shade loving plants and keep them watered well. A few annuals that tolerate shade or partial shade are: nasturtium (Tropaeolum), flowering tobacco(Nicotiana), pansy (Viola), lobelia (Lobelia), bachelor button (Centaurea), Pinks (Dianthus), bells of Ireland (Moluccella), forget-me-not (Myosotis), baby blue eyes (Nemophila), perilla (Perilla), fuchsia (Fucshia), and elephant ear (Colocasia). There are many others in the garden center so choose your favorites. Enjoy your new garden!