No flowers - Knowledgebase Question

Name: Kathleen
Edwardsville, IL
Question by ktherien
I live near St. Louis and have several shrubs in the yard that did not bloom this year. They include hydrangea, rhodendron and a crepe mrytle. What are the sun and fertilizing requirements for these plants? They were planted in fall of 2007.

0

For best performance, rhododendrons should be in a mostly shady spot, hydrangea should have about 4 hours of morning sun, and crape myrtle needs all day sunshine. Immaturity and lack of adequate sun can keep plants from blooming, but late frosts can nip the flower buds and keep them from opening. Make sure your plants are getting the sunshine (or shade) they crave, feed them each spring with a slow release 10-10-10 and water them once or twice a week. I think you'll see more flowers as your shrubs mature over the next few years. Enjoy!

Today's site banner is by bootandall and is called "Aster"