Possible fungus? - Knowledgebase Question

Chicago, Il
Question by mysons3
I did front lawn landscaping this spring, planted Sedum on the sides of a semi circle pattern, initially they seemed to grow well, now they seem covered with a grayish looking fungus, tall but with only leaves. Could this be caused by overcrowding? I have a virburnum in the center, 2 globe arborvitae and 2 sungold cypress surrounding the virburnum.

0

Sounds like a beautiful planting! What you describe with your sedum is probably Botrytis gray mold which attacks sedum leaves and flowers, causing blotches to form. Eventually, the leaves and flowers turn brown and die. To control, cut off and discard all diseased plant parts. Spray infected plants with a copper or sulfur based fungicide, making 2 applications 5 days apart. You may be able to avoid this problem by keeping water off the foliage. Hope this works for you!