growing silver queen & truckers favorite corn - Knowledgebase Question

Jonesboro, Ge
Question by david_marlow
I planted and fertilized 4 rows of the corn mentioned above but it did not fill out completely and had very little yield. I need a few tips to grow better corn.

Thanks,

David

0

How disappointing for you! When ears don't fill out completely, it's generally a problem with pollination. When the stalks develop tassels the pollen within the tassels matures and falls onto the silks protruding from the ears of corn. Pollen is dust-like and generally falls down to the silks, but can also be blown by the wind. That's why, to ensure complete pollination, it's suggested to plant corn in blocks rather than long rows. As pollen falls onto the silks, a grain travels down the silk to the cob where it fertilizes the immature kernel. Each kernel has two silks attached and must receive pollen grains in order to start the process of enlargement. That's why you'll sometimes find an empty space between two fat kernels. It means that that kernal did not receive pollen and did not mature. Wet weather can have an effect on pollination, as can corn stalks placed too far apart for the pollen grains to travel. Next time you plant corn, plant it in a block, not rows. And, to help things along, you can cut a tassel off a stalk and shake it over the silks of the ears to make sure pollen lands where it should! I know you'll have better luck with your corn next year!

Today's site banner is by bootandall and is called "Aster"